Sunday, January 1, 2017

scraped knees

This morning, Annika went to KiDZ Church for the first time. I stayed with her and as I watched her there, standing before me, I was in awe. I watched her take it all in, intrigued with each activity, having fun and participating....she is only just beginning to learn the love our Heavenly Father has for her.  And I am in awe and wonder as I see my little girl standing before me... in person.... finally. 

This afternoon, we enjoyed the nice Spring weather (someone please tell Winter to get here, please! I need some snow in my life!). The kids were riding scooters, playing ball, and spending time with our neighbor friends' grandkids currently in town. I had gone inside to catch a moment of down time while Jay stayed outside with them. I was sitting on the couch when Annika came in looking for me, tears streaming down her face and crying in pain. Sweet Jadyn had followed behind to let me know Annika had taken a hard fall on the concrete and had badly scraped her knee. As I examined the knee and consoled Annika, Jadyn fetched a bandaid and items for me. Annika cried and cried..... long after I had tenderly bandaged her knee .... she cried. I just held her, sang to her and rocked her, and I listened to the cry of hundreds knee scrapes and thousands of tears of years before now.... I heard the cry of a little girl who had not known the love of a mother's arms to rock away the sadness, ease away the hurts and wipe away the tears.... until now. My heart wrapped a little bit tighter around her as she cried for about 20 minutes as she let me caress her hair and hum "Jesus Loves Me" until she had emptied the reservoir of tears she had been holding in. And once those tears were gone, she sat up, looked at me, and pointed she was ready to go back outside.  And off she went to enjoy 2 more hours of beautiful daylight.

No comments: