Wednesday, November 30, 2016

The past is painful....

As our travel date gets closer, I am reminded that Annika is not going to come as a child without scars, both physical and unseen and that for the past 8 years, she has been in the care of other people. I have not had any control of whether it has been good care or bad care.... I am reminded that once she is home with us and begins to feel safe and feel the love of her family... that she will begin to open up and reveal hurts, fears, joys, sorrows of her past. My heart and arms are anxious to hold her, protect her, love her, and reveal Christ's love for her. I know I will not be able to undo any hurts from her past, but her future now holds hope, possibilities, love and safety. 
Adoption is beautiful, yet it is messy, it comes with sorrow and grief. Before God adopted us as His sons and daughters, our future was without hope. But, He adopted us as His own, healing our hurts, giving us everlasting life, making us whole in Him. Jay and I cannot heal any inner hurts of Annika, we can't undo her past whether good or bad, but we can love her just as Christ loves the church, we can give her a future filled with hope and possibilities, a family to call her own. She will be an orphan no more. She is loved, cherished, and soon...safe.

No Hands But Ours wrote an article in November 2015 that I recently read....  it's worth the read...


~ Shannon

No comments: