Sunday, April 5, 2009

What will his name be?

Well, the naming poll was quite interesting on what Baby Boy Sappington should be called. 3 out of 5 of the names on there were no longer in the running, but added to the list just to have variety. :) The votes were quite interesting! Cobi is a name I liked, but Jay has never cared for it. Shiloh and JPS V are nice names, but didn't make the cut either. Which brings us to the last 2 names: Eli James and Ian James. When people ask me what we're going to name him, I always have to shrug my shoulders and say, "I don't know what to name him!" How ironic is it that here I was hoping for a boy this go around, yet, I have no name for him! So, let me give you a little history behind the meaning of both names...

Eli is Hebrew in origin and is a form of Elijah which means "The Lord Is My God".
Eli is also a form of Elisha which means "God Is My Salvation".

Ian is Scottish in origin and is another name for John, which is Hebrew for "God Is Gracious".

We like the meaning of both names. Eli is cool because it's totally different sounding than Jadyn. Ian is cool, because he would be named in honor of my brother, John.

James is carrying on the family name on Jay's side. James, just so you know, is Hebrew for "Supplanter".

I have this feeling that we won't know exactly what to call him until we see him face to face. I think this is one of those times that when you meet him face to face, then the name just clicks. Maybe it'll click before he arrives....which would be nice, because I am so indecisive!

So, what do YOU think??? Ian or Eli??? :)

5 comments:

Amy Voss said...

Don't worry Shannon, you still have time. We had a different name picked out for Seven & the night before he was born, we decided to change the name to Seven. With Rilian we didn't decide on his name until 8 hours before he was born. We had a list, but hadn't really settled on a name. It was easier for us to agree on a girl's name.

Jason and Vanessa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lu said...

I think Jason and Vanessa really like IAN. We like both names but tend to lean towards Eli. Both names have wonderful meanings. What a blessing from God. Can't wait to meet little Ian or Eli Sappington.

Jason and Vanessa said...

Okay my last comment was a little too crazy I vote for Ian.

Stephanie Rohloff said...

Well, I have to say, I am still saddened that there will be no Warf Data Sappington running around in the near future (notice I said 'near' future) :) Despite that, I happen to think the names you have chosen are great names. I like them both. I might prefer Eli a bit more, but seriously girl, great names! I can't wait to call him either name....and meet him!